Thursday, June 28, 2007

My personal trainer

We crossed town in search of a morning coffee. We ended up in a restaurant where the owner immediately picked up and hugged Celia. Although she was a little freaked out, she rolled with it well. He spoke with us in Spanish and returned several times to dote on Celia. When we left, he again hoisted her up and kissed her. It is a sticky wicket to explain to a five-year-old that Mexican men may want to kiss and hug her and that is most likely okay.

This morning I prepared a mango, apple and melon for breakfast. Be prepared, I mean that I ran a knife through them. Why wouldn’t I call this breakfast at home? Celia devoured it and announced that it is time for yoga.

Ladies, here is the surefire way to stick to an exercise regimen – involve your five year-old. Put their ability to badger you to work. Rather than listening to “Can I watch Barney? Can I? When can I watch Barney?” turn their iron will devoid of repetition detection loose on your flabby abs. 40 minutes of yoga, sit-ups, push-ups and butt exercises we simply call doggie (use your imagination), and we are sitting in the lounge chairs adding to our journals – Celia in her paper and pencil perfection and I on my laptop. I am certain that had the morning been my own, I would have progressed from fruit to lounge chair 40 minutes faster.

Today I taught Celia:
Quarter fractions of a whole – ¼, ½, ¾, 1 while swimming laps in the pool.
How to rock out to Bohemian Rhapsody
Warrior Pose

Celia taught me:
How to ask, “Where can I buy beer?”
How great guayabas are

No comments: